6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
- Winter semester 2018 (On-campus)
72 points towards the completion of a course offered by the Faculty of science, with at least 48 points of science units
Must be enrolled in a course owned by the Faculty of Science
An application is required to enrol in this internship unitinternship unit (http://www.monash.edu/science/current-students/internship-units).
In this unit, you will undertake a science based internship of at least 80 hours, where you will put into practice the knowledge and skills developed in your course. The internship experience will give you hands-on, real world exposure to the workplace environment and will enable you to further develop graduate attributes and employability skills. You will work with a host supervisor to establish professional objectives, a project plan, and to receive feedback on your progress. The internship will help you develop self-awareness of your ability to meet stated objectives and areas in need of improvement.
Pre-placement workshops will support your preparation for the placement and develop an understanding of science based professions, the work culture, and the skills and attributes required for the workplace.
You are responsible for identifying your own placement and have this approved by the Unit Coordinator prior to the start of the semester.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify and convey the knowledge, skills and attributes required for the professional workplace in a relevant science setting.
- Demonstrate critical reflective practice in the assessment of their personal strengths and development needs in the context of their work-readiness and career planning.
- Review and reflect on the insights gained from the immersion in a professional setting, and the impact of this experience in their career development.
- Actively seek out and act upon constructive feedback.
Internship plan: 10%
Reflective journal: 40%
Interview of a professional: 30%
Final presentation: 20%
Hurdle requirements: Pre-placement workshop plus completion of an approved internship of at least 80 hours.
- Pre-placement workshop: 2.5 hours
- Industry placement: at least 80 hours
See also Unit timetable information