24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
, and completion of two internships (one international). Students must complete 144 point.
Working in collaboration with innovative industry partners and the Faculty of Science, students will complete an independent research project. Through this process, students will be connected to industry partners to gain an understanding of the challenge that has been set, the nature of the industry and stakeholder needs. This is the preparatory unit to develop student's theoretical understanding of the industry challenge in preparation for the development of the project plan and commencement of the group based Challenge project in.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Undertake and interpret independent research to demonstrate a critical and analytical understanding of the current scientific, social, corporate and/or political contexts of the project;
- Execute a stakeholder analysis and appraise a range of needs to evaluate and illustrate the problem;
- Integrate research into a professional report that articulates the problem and possible solutions and shows critical thinking and persuasive communication;
- Use persuasive presentation skills to articulate the problem and possible solutions.
Literature review (individual): 20%
Oral presentation (individual): 10%
Research project (individual): 70%
The equivalent of 24 hours study per week comprised of independent research, meetings, and workshops.
This unit is part of the full-time fourth year program for the BSc Advanced - Global Challenges (Honours)
See also Unit timetable information