6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Within this unit students will undertake a study of the business practice of illustration while continuing to develop their image making skills. They will be exposed to the legalities of contracts, talent agencies, correct pricing strategies and successful methods of self-promotion. As well, they will continue to undertake illustration projects that hone personal skills and an individual illustration style and specialty. Additional skills such as layout, design and typography will also be enhanced though their application to each project.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand the needs of a viable illustration practice
- be aware of the avenues available for managing and obtaining illustration work
- be confident in ascertaining the value of each work undertaken
- develop a range of self-promotion strategies
- continue to develop a professional and individual approach to image making
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
4 image-based projects: 70%; 1 research journal: 15%; 1 self-promotion project: 15%
4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information