Finance is often defined simply as the management of money. This can relate to the finances of individuals and families, of businesses, and of governments. It can also include the consideration of investment risks. Retail, investment and banks offer financial services which are designed to assist with money management, making them an important part of a financial system.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- critically evaluate and analyse financial data and instruments, explain technical and theoretical banking and finance concepts and to formulate and present banking and finance proposals.
Banking and financial management is listed in the Bachelor of Business and Commerce at Malaysia as a major and minor.
Major requirements (48 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to a major and at least 18 points must be credited to the major at level 3.
- The following six units (36 points):
- Two units (12 points) from the following, with at least one unit at level 3:
- BEW3100 Work placement program
- BFW2341 International financial management
- BFW3331Not offered in 2019 International banking and finance
- BFW3540 Modelling in finance
- BFW3651 Treasury management
- BFW3652 Corporate treasury and credit management
- ETW2410 Introductory econometrics
Minor requirements (24 points)
Students complete the following four units (24 points):
- BFW1001 Foundations of finance
- BFW2140 Corporate finance 1
- BFW2401 Commerical banking and finance
- BFW3121 Investments and portfolio management
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- B2026 Bachelor of Business and Commerce
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the major using 48 points of their free electives.
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Business and Commerce component in the following double degree:
- B2027 Bachelor of Business and Commerce and Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies