This specialisation is also available for online study.
This specialisation will prepare you to teach children from five to 12 years of age in primary schools from Foundation to Year 6. You will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of primary education, developing inclusive practices to meet children's diverse needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage children's learning in classroom settings. All the key elements of the primary curriculum including English and literacies, mathematics, arts, humanities and social education, science, and health and physical education will be included. You will acquire effective strategies for assessing children's development within particular learning areas and for designing learning experiences to ensure their ongoing progress.
All units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Orientation studies (24 points)
- EDF4120 Learning at the heart of teaching
- EDF4121 Teaching: The power to change
- EDF4122 Teaching partnerships: Working with families and communities
- EDF4123 Literacy across the years
Part B. Specialist education studies and Part C. Professional practice (72 points)
The professional experience units below require 60 days of professional experience, in four blocks of 15 days, completed in primary school settings.
For specialist studies (54 points) students complete:
- EDF5016 Inclusive teaching
- EDF5017 Numeracy for learners and teachers
- EDF5018 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
- EDF5030 Science education in the primary years
- EDF5031 Literacy and English education in the primary years
- EDF5032 Numeracy and mathematics education in the primary years
- EDF5033 Humanities and social sciences education in the primary years
- EDF5034 Arts and design education in the primary years
- EDF5035 Health and physical education in the primary years
For professional studies (18 points) students complete:
- EDF5019 Teacher as professional leader
- EDF5931 Primary professional experience 1 (0 points)
- EDF5932 Primary professional experience 2 (0 points)
- EDF5933 Primary professional experience 3 (0 points)
- EDF5934 Primary professional experience 4 (0 points)
- a master's unit chosen from the elective list below
Note: This elective list will change from time to time and not all units are available on every campus, every semester or every year. Some units are offered in flexible mode.
Elective units are 12 credit points unless otherwise stated.
- EDF5632 Understanding inclusion in learning communities
- EDF5640 Language, culture and curriculum
- EDF5641 Pedagogy and assessment in TESOL
- EDF5642 Bilingualism and content-based programs
- EDF5645 Educating the gifted
- EDF5646 Talent development and diversity
- EDF5647 Technology and education key issues and debates
- EDF5648 Instructional design: Harnessing digital technologies for learning
- EDF5649 Language and literacies across educational contexts
- EDF5651 Developing expertise in mathematics education
- EDF5654 Teaching music: Theory and practice
- EDF5655 Expertise in teaching
- EDF5656 Practising inclusion
- EDF5657 Indigenous perspectives in professional practice
- EDF5658 Young people: Culture, communities and education
- EDF5659 Building partnerships with families and communities
- EDF5661 Designing learning for adults
- EDF5662Not offered in 2019 Leading local, rural and regional learning and participation
- EDF5663 Education and globalisation in the Asian century
- EDF5664 Learning through participation
- EDF5665 Environmental education, design and learning for sustainability
- EDF5666Not offered in 2019 Education, development and ecological sustainability
- EDF5667 Positive behaviour support
- EDF5674 Engaging with practices of contemporary science
- EDF5691 Professional project
- EDF5692 Professional practice in special and inclusive education
- EDF5693 Using and evaluating research evidence
- EDF5694 Taking a stand in education debates
- EDF5695 Self-study as professional inquiry
- EDF5810Not offered in 2019 VCAL and VET at school
- EDF5814Not offered in 2019 Creative research approaches
60 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in primary school settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/postgrad/edu-06.html) for information.