18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Admission to Master of Architecture
The Transition architecture studio 1 is for those entering the three-year Master of Architecture academic program and provides core foundations in architectural design and architectural communications. The unit explores architectural design as a process of investigation, critical observation and experimentation and application in urban contexts while engaging with the three-dimensional and material testing of ideas. Projects will be formulated to introduce key architectural issues such as site, space, context, activity and tectonics. The unit will also develop understanding of two and three-dimensional conventions for representation across a range of media.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in architectural design;
- Understand how observation, analysis, experiment and critique apply to the architectural design process;
- Be able to clearly communicate architectural ideas verbally, graphically and 3-dimensionally;
- Demonstrate ability to critically analyse and respond to issues inherent in an architectural design project;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
36 hours per week including 9 contact hours plus 27 hours of independent study, or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information