6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Students are not permitted to take classes that are below their language proficiency level.
The primary focus of the unit is to develop fundamental communication skills required for use in interacting with Indonesians. The overarching theme is on biography and the unit draws on the biographies of Indonesians, Australians and others who have had an impact on Indonesia's development and/or its relationship with the world. Cultural lectures explore the lives of Indonesians and the creation of the nation using film and literature as primary media. Tutorials provide language practice and opportunities to express personal experiences and interests in Indonesian while developing knowledge of structure and cultural practice in language use. Students taking this unit are not expected to have any prior knowledge of Indonesian language or culture.
Upon successful completion of the unit students will be able to:
- apply a practical knowledge of Indonesian language and culture to present information about themselves and others in Indonesian;
- understand and utilise the Indonesian writing system as it relates to sound and spelling;
- use an Indonesian dictionary through an awareness and understanding of Indonesian morphology;
- apply basic research skills to retrieve, synthesise and communicate information related to biographies of prominent Indonesians in English.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information