6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit involves students in teaching and learning activities equally developing language skills and cultural competence. Activities equip students with advanced comprehension and production skills. Oral work focuses on expository techniques. Written tasks involve essay writing. Listening and writing production activities develop advanced skills required to produce accounts of radio or TV news and current affairs programmes. Students develop advanced language skills and competence in the theory, research methodology and practices, and discourses involved in sophisticated critical enquiry, understanding and analysis in an area of French studies, working towards the production of a short guided research essay.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- read and orally communicate the main points contained in a newspaper;
- produce a report presenting the information contained in a radio or TV current affairs program using note taking and listening comprehension skills;
- apply morpho-syntactic and stylistic skills to differentiate between French and English syntax, through systematic use of a French reference grammar;
- apply theory, research methodology, practices and discourses to an area of French studies, specific to modern and contemporary France and its culture;
- undertake an independent research project, utilising skills in research, critical inquiry, analysis and scholarly communication.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information