6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
or permission from the unit coordinator.
The unit is designed to develop students' Korean language skills to an advanced level, while introducing them to a range of literary writings by modern master writers of colonial Korea (1910-1945) supplemented by media texts.
Students will develop reading, writing, listening, and discussion skills; and will learn the historical context in which to understand and analyse modern Korean literature. Writing skills to be developed include translation, creative writing, synthesis and argument in essay writing.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- explain the historical context of modern Korean literature;
- analyse primary works of modern Korean literature in Korean;
- engage in informed discussion of the different texts and contexts studied in the unit;
- produce clear, grammatically and syntactically appropriate response papers and writings (short answers, translations, creative writing, essays, etc.) in Korean on topics provided or chosen for assessment.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information