6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Minor in geography
Enrolment in D3001 BEd(Hons), D3002 to D3009 BEd(Hons)(Secondary doubles), D6001 MTeach
This unit is part A of a two-part unit and must be taken in conjunction with part B (EDF5140).
This unit prepares students to become effective and knowledgeable specialist geography teachers. It develops students' knowledge and understanding of current policies, theories, research principles and methods in geography education nationally and internationally. Additionally, students research how these impact on curriculum and pedagogy for geography teachers. The unit involves research into various strategies, resources, policies, activities and forms of assessment for geography education.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced understanding of contemporary approaches and trends in geography education in Australia and internationally
- develop and implement a differentiated and inclusive geography curriculum including the creative integration of digital technologies
- design and conduct research into the field of geography education
- engage learners and communities in geography education to promote a more equitable and sustainable community
- develop an ongoing capacity to create units of work in response to changing educational policy and theory for secondary school students
- understand the role of geography both as a separate discipline and as part of an integrated curriculum.
Fieldwork may be arranged by negotiation with students
Lesson planning sequence (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Class presentation involving research into teaching resources (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 3 hour workshop per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the remaining hours per week
See also Unit timetable information