6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Miss Sara Villiers
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in D3001 BEd(Hons), D3002 to D3009 BEd(Hons)(Secondary doubles), D6001 MTeach
This unit is part B of a two-part unit and must be taken in conjunction with part A (EDF5171).
This unit builds on physical education concepts and knowledge from the previous semester. It provides students with a continuing intellectual, theoretical and practical framing inclusive of a critical research agenda in secondary physical education, enabling students to become critically reflective and informed professionals. They also learn how teachers plan for and undertake educational projects and research as part of their professional work. The focus for this unit is on students consolidating their physical education specific professional knowledge and professional practice, while identifying and engaging in professional learning for improved practice and student learning. Students are provided with opportunities, in class and/or via related professional experience (teaching practicums), to consolidate their content knowledge, develop subject matter and pedagogical content knowledge and skills relevant to teaching in secondary schools.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop, design, plan and research lessons, units of work and curriculum appropriate for senior physical education
- consolidate their understanding of professional knowledge and professional practice in physical education
- examine the impact of contemporary issues on policy, curriculum and pedagogy facing physical education and teachers of physical education
- develop an insight into the importance of professional learning and engagement in a changing society
- critically reflect and evaluate their teaching experiences in physical education in a school environment.
VCE Physical education unit outline (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
VCE Physical education teaching resource (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2-3 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
For course 3718:
Education - SecondaryEducation - Secondary (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2013handbooks/aos/education---secondary/)
For course D6001: