6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Successful completion of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited fourth year sequence in psychology and.
In this unit, case formulation skills are consolidated and extended by introducing theory and skills training in two empirically supported intervention approaches; Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Mindfulness Based Approaches (e.g. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; ACT). Students will examine the evidence base for and critically evaluate the applicability of these approaches to common presenting issues across the lifespan and with diverse population groups. Teaching approaches will include lectures, modelling and skills practice in small groups.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically appraise the applications and efficacy of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Mindfulness Based Approaches for common presenting issues.
- evaluate the appropriateness and suitability of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Mindfulness Based Approaches for a diverse range of populations with a specific focus on different contexts.
- integrate knowledge of case conceptualisation with evidence-based intervention to develop an intervention plan for clients with commonly seen presenting issues.
- demonstrate skill competence (suitable for a provisionally registered psychologist) in a range of cognitive behaviour therapy and mindfulness techniques, and self-reflect on practitioner competence.
Case report and intervention plan for a client with a common presenting issue (2000 words; 50%)
Skill demonstration and reflection (2000 words equivalent; 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 12/144 hours per week/semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
2 hour workshop per week
- Additional requirements (all students):
10 hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information