6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit will offer a continuation of skills and knowledge acquired in its introductory unit. Students will be asked to work at an advanced level of production - either individually or in collaboration - while scrutinising current cinema practice in greater depth.
Art & design in film is an elective unit involving close visual analysis of selected feature films. The unit focuses on design as part of the visual language of film. While embracing theoretical concerns the primary emphasis is on the design component of the film and the unit is therefore particularly suited to Art and Design students.
The unit will involve a close analysis of films as complete works, but more particularly by exploring certain themes and visual strategies. This will be done in the context of cinema history and theory. Students will also be set creative tasks culminating in the production of a longer moving image work or a cinema-informed artwork.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand film narrative as a visual method;
- Produce creative works that apply aspects of film language either in the form of (longer) moving image works or cinema informed projects within student's own studio discipline;
- Investigate the role of the crew in a film project, and collaborate with others to produce creative works;
- Critically discuss theoretical and technical issues related to the expression and communication of design ideas through the medium of film;
- Apply understanding and knowledge of film culture and process to longer moving image works/ projects (either individually or collaboratively);
- Discuss critical theory in relation to film culture building on knowledge of cinema history and world cinema.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 4 contact hours and 8 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information