6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
At least 96 points or permission of the Head of Discipline
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Food Science and Technology course
The internship gives Food Science and Technology students the opportunity to apply their university learning to the workplace, providing students with experience in tailoring their academic-based learning to the needs of an industry-based partner, and to network with potential employers. This will prepare students for work or professional practice by integrating theoretical knowledge with practice. Students will learn about the process of applying for employment and good workplace practice. The internship will generally be over the summer break and commence in December. It can be taken any time after the completion of Level Two.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Application of the knowledge and skills acquired during their academic studies to the practical requirements of the workplace;
- A positive contribution to the organisation;
- A capacity to work effectively as a member of a team through well developed skills in job planning, time management, problem solving, critical thinking and the organisation of work;
- A sound understanding of the requirements of working with others in a position of responsibility;
- Effective and appropriate oral and written communication skills;
- Awareness of OHS issues and demonstrate application of safe practices in a workplace environment;
- An ability to set personal goals and to pursue these goals in a manner appropriate to the workplace.
Employer assessment: 20%
Weekly log book: 20%
Project report: 30%
- Three-hour workshop prior to internship
- Minimum of eight weeks placement
- One-hour of private study per week
- Final internship presentation seminar (10 hours)
See also Unit timetable information