6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Students must have their proposed project and supervisor approved by the unit coordinator prior to enrolment. In addition, students must have at least a distinction average across 24 points of second level units, including a minimum of 12 points from, , , , , , MOL2011, or MOL2022.
This unit provides the opportunity for high-achieving students to undertake an individual research project in Genetics with an academic supervisor. It includes a critical literature review, experimental design and data analysis. The student must maintain regular contact with supervisor(s) and subject coordinator.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Comprehend the fundamental process and requirements of scientific research;
- Review and critically evaluate the scientific literature within a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate skills in experimental design, data collection and statistical analysis;
- Interpret experimental results, and place the results in the broader context of the research discipline;
- Communicate scientific findings and their implications, via oral presentations and written reports.
Oral presentation: 10%
Poster presentation: 15%
Written reports: 65%
Supervisor's assessment of project planning, conduct and development: 10%
Approximately 12 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information