12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted.
- Second semester 2019 (Flexible)
Nursing Practice in Australian Health Care Context
Must be enrolled in course code M6006
This professional studies unit is aimed at facilitating internationally qualified nurses' knowledge and understanding of the Australian health care system and nursing frameworks for the delivery of care.
Students will be required to explore the Australian legal system and professional ethical codes and their application to the health care environment to deliver safe, high quality professional nursing practice.
NUR5113 Nursing in the Australian Context is offered concurrently withNursing Practice in the Australian Health Care Context.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the health care system in Australia;
- Discuss the health care environment in relation to the Australian legal system;
- Critically examine the professional codes of conduct, standards of practice and ethical codes of practice as basis for professional nursing practice;
- Using case scenarios, apply the ethical, legal and regulatory frameworks that inform the practice boundaries and decision making expectations of nurses in Australia;
- Explore the sociocultural context of the Australian health care practices, particularly focusing on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders;
- Compare the health profiles of vulnerable groups including those residing in rural and remote areas, the elderly and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Compare and contrast the health care delivery system of Australian and another country;
- Illustrate knowledge about providing safe and competent nursing care utilising Australian standards for services and practice;
- Critically appraise the application of evidence-based quality improvement processes to an area of nursing practice for the purpose of enhancing patient safety; and
- Describe the relationship between the conduct of clinical research, technological advancement, and changes to nursing knowledge and its application to practice.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 3 hours and 10 minutes.
- 4x online quiz and participation (10%)
- Written assignment (3,500-4,000 words) (30%)
- Case scenario - 2 x 1,000 words (10%). Total 2,000 words (20%)
- Exam (3 hours) (40%) (hurdle)
- Online directed learning (240 hours)
- Self-directed learning including private study (60 hours)
- On-campus fortnightly tutorials (2 hours x 6) (12hours total for on-campus students
Total 312 hours
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery