6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit will examine the process of transferring high quality research evidence into practice.
It will explore systematic review and guideline development. Students will learn how to assess the quality and interpret the results of these valuable sources of evidence.
Students will examine barriers and enablers in knowledge translation, and undertake in evidence-based methods utilised in research translation and dissemination strategies.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Understand the evidence-practice gap
- Describe the knowledge translation cycle
- Understand and analyse systematic review and guideline development methods
- Develop and implement a public health evaluation plan
- Design strategies for assessing barriers and enablers to translating research into practice
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 1.5 hours and 10 minutes.
- Group project (10%)
- Critical appraisal (2,000 words) (30%)
- Health evaluation (2,000 words) (30%)
- Written examination (1.5 hours) (30%)
6 contact hours (3 hour seminar, 3 hours online) plus 6 hours private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information