12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
PSC2011 Biochemical Pharmacology
PSC2021 Structural Organic Chemistry
PSC2012 Molecular Pharmacology
This unit is available to students studying the undergraduate degree Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science Advanced with Honours
This unit will provide students with an extensive foundation in research in Drug Discovery Biology pharmaceutical science within the faculty as well as provide the knowledge of research philosophy and approaches.
Students will participate in a hands-on research project within the Department of Drug Discovery Biology at Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (MIPS) under the supervision of an academic staff member. The project will enhance students' skills in all aspects of research.
The aim of this unit is to provide students the opportunity to gain skills in research and an understanding of current research activities within the faculty. The unit is designed for the student who may wish to pursue further study in research-orientated postgraduate programs.
At the end of this elective, students will be able to:
- Undertake and present a critical evaluation of the literature that describes recent advances in pharmaceutical research with a focus on their area of research ;
- Demonstrate skills in defining a hypothesis, designing an approach to test the hypothesis, planning experiments, undertaking experiments, analysing and interpreting data and writing a research report;
- Demonstrate competence in using analytical instrumentation;
- Discuss basic research philosophies and approaches.
- Communicate outcomes of the project.
Written report (mini-thesis): 60%;Laboratory work: 20% (supervisor's mark including initiative, technical capacity, teamwork and project understanding);Oral presentation: 20%
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 160 hours research project
- 128 hours of independent study
See also Unit timetable information