6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus)
and two of ( , , )
Must be enrolled in course M3002, M3003.
Students must submit valid preclinical documentation, as listed in the course handbook, to Administration staff by the deadline specified and communicated to students. Failure to submit these mandatory documents may result in students being unable to complete the course.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty non standard teaching dates pageFaculty non standard teaching dates page (https://www.monash.edu/medicine/study/student-services/non-standard-dates) to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (https://www.monash.edu/enrolments/change/add-or-discontinue-units).
During this unit, students undertake a 5 week elective clinical placement.
This provides the opportunity to apply and expand integrated knowledge and skills from previous learning in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy to patient care in various health care consumers in a diverse range of health care related settings.
Students are expected to spend 32 hours per week during clinical education in a health service or elective placement facilities with additional self-directed study hours.
Additional study time will be required for completion of self-directed assessment tasks.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Engage in critically reflective practice of learning needs, clinical performance, and patient care;
- Demonstrate professional behaviour in patient care and rights that is culturally sensitive and in accordance with legal requirements;
- Demonstrate appropriate and effective communication across written and verbal mediums, with clients, staff, and other health care stakeholders;
- Integrate knowledge and skills to effectively assess patient needs, including selection of relevant measures of health indicators and outcomes;
- Apply an evidence-based approach to patient care;
- Critically analyse risks and adverse events associated with client assessments and interventions;
Clinical placement: 32 hours per week x 5 weeks.
- To reflect everyday workplace practices, and in recognition of the importance of optimizing education in limited clinical placement hours, students are required to achieve 100% clinical attendance. Exceptions will be considered in cases of explained absence through illness, compassionate leave or a pre-arranged agreement with the University and health service facility.
- Students will also be expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner towards staff and clinical educators (Professional conduct hurdle)
- Achieve a pass in all summative tasks (Hurdle)
- Attendance and participation in clinical education (Hurdle)
Summative and hurdle assessment:
- Clinician evaluation using APP assessment tool (Hurdle and summative task) (100%)
PTY4281 comprises five off-campus weeks in health service or elective placement facilities for education. Students are expected to spend 32 hours per week during clinical education in health service or elective placement facilities. Additional self directed study time is allocated in this unit for completion of self-directed assessment tasks including learning and reflection related to experiences in delivery of physiotherapy services.
See also Unit timetable information