Enrolment in a master's by research degree involves the independent investigation of a research problem that has been formulated by you as the student. It is expected that the research you undertake will make a contribution to the discipline in which you are enrolled by applying, critiquing, analysing or interpreting that knowledge in ways that facilitate pathways for further learning. You will be supported in your research by a supervisory team.
Postgraduate - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the 'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Information Technology.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Monash Graduate Education, Clayton campus, or visit Graduate Student ServicesGraduate Student Services (https://www.monash.edu/it/our-research/Contact-our-faculty-research-office).
Admission and fees
Master by research
2 years FT, 4 years PT
The student's research master's project is to be conceived from the outset as clearly achievable within the standard duration of the degree, taking into consideration all elements, including any compulsory coursework required.
Master of Philosophy
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 9 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework level 9 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Successful completion of the program will signify that the student has successfully completed a course of research training and has satisfied the examiners that they can carry out a research project and critically analyse the results.
It is expected that graduates will be able to demonstrate the following abilities:
- critically review the current research in the literature
- formulate a research problem of high impact and significance
- apply the appropriate research methodology
- analyse the research data
- articulate the research outcome to a variety of audience.
Conditions of enrolment
You will be required to complete:
- Monash Graduate Research Induction (online)
- Research Integrity (online)
- any faculty or program induction requirements.
As a student of the university, you will be required to abide by all relevant statutes, regulations, policies and procedures. This includes maintaining satisfactory progress via regular milestone reviews in accordance with the Graduate Research Progress Management policyGraduate Research Progress Management policy (http://www.monash.edu/_data/assets/pdffile/0009/787311/Graduate-Research-Progress-Management-Policy.pdf) and procedures, ensuring you are undertaking research of an appropriate quality and scale as required by your course. You should refer to the University's current statutes and the University Policy BankUniversity Policy Bank (https://www.monash.edu/policy-bank/academic/graduate-education) for links to relevant policies, procedures and guidelines.
This course consists of:
- a research and thesis component
- a coursework and training component.
Students must, in consultation with and under the direct supervision of a member/s of the academic staff:
1. carry out a program of research on an agreed topic approved by the relevant school in your chosen discipline for a specified period, including attending and/or presenting at seminars and other related activities as indicated by the relevant school
2. submit for assessment a thesis of not more than 35,000 words on the program of research which meets the requirements of the examiners. Submission of a thesis including published worksthesis including published works (https://www.monash.edu/graduate-research/supervisors-and-examiners/examiners/publication) may be permitted.
3. satisfactorily complete a program of coursework study and training as outlined in:
Progression to further studies
You may apply to transfer to a PhD after successful completion of confirmation and provided that satisfactory progress has been made and certain conditions are met.