6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit explores structure as it relates to architectural design and construction. This includes study of structural principles and the implications of these in relation to architectural design and construction processes and outcomes. Direct physical testing and manipulation of materials and structural systems will be used to understand and assess their application in architecture. A range of structural behaviors will be addressed in response to optimisation and material efficiencies as well as their relationship to design intent. Projects will be introduced to promote dialogue between this unit and design studio project processes and outcomes. Integral to the subject matter is the engagement with strategies for environmental sustainability in relation to structure design and construction.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Understand basic structural principles as they apply to architectural design and construction
- Understand issues of material properties and construction processes in relation to structural system design
- Develop an understanding of issues of environmental sustainability in relation to structural system design
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study
100% mixed mode
12 hours per week, including 3 hours lecture / tutorial and 9 hours of independent study or equivalent
See also Unit timetable information