6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Illustration for Animation explores the role of illustration and related image-making within the animation industry. Students will be exposed to the processes and techniques illustrators use in the production of animatics, the process of turning written narrative into a sequential visual format. Students will become competent in the creation of storyboards, and understand the principles of editing and composition in the construction of an animated narrative.
In this unit students will become familiar with the union of image transition, dialogue, sound effects, music, dissolves, zooms, pans and other production processes used in the construction of animatics. They will also explore character design as a core component of animated story-telling, and how that character is adapted in order to create convincing action, dialogue and emotional expression.
Students will be exposed to the work of leading exponents of the practice, both contemporary and historic, and be able to critically analyse the processes used this work.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Examine the role illustration plays in the animation industry, through the critical analysis of contemporary and historical works.
- Create a storyboard to translate written narrative into a sequential visual format.
- Construct an animated narrative using the principles of editing and composition.
- Employ image transitions, dialogue, sound effects, music, dissolves, zooms, pans and other production processes used in the construction of animatics.
- Design characters for animated story-telling and apply principles to evoke emotion, action and dialogue.
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% Mixed mode
4 contact hours plus 8 hours of private study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information