6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit introduces students to digital imaging within art and design studio practices. It builds sequentially upon the skills and knowledge of digital processes by providing a focus upon creative image production for a range of digital media applications. Students explore the creation, manipulation, composition and output of digital images with increasing confidence and proficiency across a range of options and controls available through vector and pixel-based software applications and use of peripheral devices. Demonstrations and lectures are given on the creation of digital images with an increased conceptual understanding of representational issues, visual language and communication.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- skillfully and insightfully create, edit, manipulate, compose and output digital images
- explore the range of options and controls available through vector and pixel-based software applications and use peripheral devices with increasing confidence and proficiency
- produce creative digital images with an increased conceptual understanding of representational issues, visual language and communication
- demonstrate increased technical understanding of demands required across the development, acquisition, creation and production of digital media
- display an increasingly personalised artistic expression and sophisticated creative digital imaging approach which can be pursued at an advanced stage in subsequent digital imaging studios
- understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety and environment appropriate to this unit of study, particularly those applying to use of computing equipment, access to facilities, and the environment of healthy and safe studio practices.
12 hours per week including: One 1 hour lecture and 2 tutorial hours and 9 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information