12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Must have completed 144 credit points of study in the Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours) degree.
FIT4013, FIT4126, FIT4186, FIT4246, FIT4606
This unit introduces students to independent research. It is a core requirement for the Bachelor of Software Engineering (Honours) degree. Due to the nature of IT and Software Engineering, a wide range of project types can be offered to students. Some project components are of a practical nature and may involve some software development and/or experimentation, while other components are of a more theoretical nature.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explore in greater depth the field of software engineering with a practical emphasis and develop project proposal;
- critically review research literature, research design and reported findings;
- logically assess different alternatives and compare and contrast these works to develop a solution to a problem of interest;
- conduct ethical research;
- communicate research findings in written and oral form in research and industry settings.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Weekly meetings with supervisor(s) over the course of the semester.
See also Unit timetable information