6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The use of materials and manufacturing processes with particular reference to their application in product design. Product life cycle and environmental design considerations are taken into account to include disassembly techniques and the recycling of metals and plastics. Students gain an understanding of design applicable for low volume manufacture or batch production.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have a basic knowledge of manufacturing methods
- understand the properties of materials, used in manufacturing purposes
- be able to interpret product designs for low volume, batch production
- have a basic knowledge of applied mechanics relating to product design materials and structures
- appreciate product life, recycling and environmental issues.
Class assignments (60%)
3 hours lectures and tutorials and 9 hours independent study
See also Unit timetable information