6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit broadens the student's understanding of the use and properties of materials in product design. There is a particular emphasis upon new and emerging materials and processes and volumes of production. Lectures cover the following areas of study; comparative assembly techniques, automated assembly, recycling and disassembly, surface treatments, guidelines for designing mouldings; fastening and joining techniques.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have an advanced knowledge of applications of materials and manufacturing in product design
- understand the performance of materials including environmental exposure
- understand the properties of new and emerging materials and their process interaction
- be able to design products for assembly and disassembly
- observe and employ occupational health and safety principles and rules appropriate to studio practice.
Progressive assessment: 50%; Class test: 50%
12 hours per week including, 3 studio hours and 9 independent study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information