6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in the Master of Mathematics
This unit enables students to work in small groups on a focused topic in mathematics, not covered in other units. Each group is supervised by an academic staff. The work consists of individual reading, group sessions to facilitate understanding and develop communication skills, and seminar-like presentations. The overall purpose of this unit is for students to learn how to self-develop knowledge on a specific mathematical subject, by gathering information from written sources (textbooks, mathematical research papers, etc.) and by communicating with peers.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Assimilate sophisticated concepts from mathematical literature.
- Develop expert strategies to efficiently work in groups and/or one-to-one with their supervisor.
- Communicate complex and specialised content both orally and in writing.
- Apply critical thinking in the field of advanced mathematics and its applications.
Progress report: 10%
Oral presentation: 30%
Written report: 60%
1-hour meeting with the supervisor per week
13 hours of personal or group work
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Master of Mathematics