6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Must be enrolled in course M3001.
This unit aims to assist students to transition to graduate occupational therapists. It focuses on the skills, knowledge and practice behaviours required for safe and competent occupational therapy practice in a range of contexts, informed by the Australian Occupational Therapy Competency Standards 2018.
Topics such as professionalism, ongoing professional development and learning, and career planning and recruitment processes will be addressed. Strategies for implementing a specific learning plan for fieldwork and a lifelong learning professional development plan after commencing practice will be covered.
Students will also critique current issues faced by the occupational therapy profession within a changing health care environment
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Analyse and reflect upon their capacity to practice with regard to the Australian Occupational Therapy Competency Standards;
- Identify a range of relevant professional support and supervision strategies for safe practice;
- Construct a learning and development plan for their final fieldwork placement;
- Analyse current professional issues that influence occupational therapy practice;
- Critically review and provide written and verbal constructive feedback on the professional practice critical analysis of one peer..
- Learning contract (2,000 words) (45%) (hurdle)
- Critical analysis (2,500 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Peer evaluation of critical analysis (750 words) (15%)
6 hours of teacher-directed study per week, consisting of workshops and seminars on campus (4 hours), and online activities (2 hours)
6 hours per week of self-directed study
Total per week = 12 hours
See also Unit timetable information