6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Admission to a degree program of the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture/permission of Head of Department for non-Faculty applicants
PHO1101, PHO1111, PHO1121, GVA1203
This unit develops an understanding of concepts of photomedia and an understanding of the relationship and relevance of student photographic work to aesthetics in photography, art and design. Students will undertake a series of thematic projects which stimulate awareness in the creative processes of conceiving, producing and editing photographic imagery through the control, manipulation and application of appropriate photographic material (ie. colour transparency films, print materials).
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have a basic practical and critical understanding of photography and its links with other media
- be able to access the Faculty Photomedia facilities and resources with a clear understanding of appropriate health and safety studio procedures and implement these procedures within their work practice
- have a minimum level of competence and understanding of the operations associated with lens-based photography including the principles of photographic 'seeing' and technical principles of image production (i.e. use of light sensitive materials, exposure)
- have a basic understanding of photography as a visual language through working with photographic imagery as expressive, narrative and representational forms
- have developed a basic vocabulary for the discussion of ideas and the role of images within the broader framework of contemporary society and art practice
- have the foundation necessary to undertake further units in Photomedia with a view towards either specialisation or application of the media within other studio disciplines.
4 hours per week
See also Unit timetable information