6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- First semester 2017 (Evening)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Evening)
This unit investigates the technical foundations of painting, considering the role of painting as a historically rich artform in relation to other artforms and as a contemporary medium of art practice. The unit provides students with an in-depth introduction to skills in a variety of painting processes with a particular emphasis on supports, grounds, pigments, colour, mediums, and a consideration of their works in the context of contemporary visual art. Occuptional safety in the Painting Studios will also be addressed.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Produce works that establish their conceptual and practical skills in the production of painting as a means of creative expression
- Apply painting and other creative skills and strategies as a form of expression appropriate to the concept under investigation
- Analyse the place of painting in the field of current practices, nationally and internationally
- Discuss the theoretical and historical rationale and context of their work, with a critical and creative attitude to contemporary visual culture
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
This is a semester-long project unit. Assessment is 100% by folio at mid-semester and end of semester. The folio will be comprised of works produced during the duration of the unit, and may also include student's works made independently of the unit, and a journal which will document on-going progress and research over the semester.
- Mid Semester Assessment (conducted in week 6) is weighted at no less than 20% of the final mark.
- Final Assessment (conducted in Week 14) is weighted at no less than 80% of the final mark.
12 hours comprising 4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to Monash University course, or with permission from Unit Coordinator