6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit investigates the possibilities of sound in relation to colour, narrative and materials. Hybridised methods acknowledging the interelation of the aural and the visual will be investigated in contemporary practice and through encounters with the history of sound art and performance. Particular attention will be paid to cross disciplinary aspects of sound in relation to painting. The unit engages with a variety of material and technical strategies enabling students to achieve a level of technical and conceptual sophistication as well as a consideration of their works in the context of contemporary art.
On successful completion of this unit, student should be able to:
- apply a conceptual and technical foundation for successful study in a contemporary visual art studio
- extend their conceptual and practical skills in the production of artworks utilising sound as a means of creative expression
- apply these works and creative skills and strategies as a form of expression appropriate to the concepts they are investigating
- critically reflect on the place of sound art in the field of contemporary art, nationally and internationally
- understand the theoretical and historical rationale and context of their work
- produce works that demonstrate a critical and creative attitude to contemporary visual culture
- understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
This is a semester-long project unit. Assessment is 100% by folio at mid-semester and end of semester. The folio will be comprised of works produced during the duration of the unit, and may also include student's works made independently of the unit, and a journal which will document on-going progress and research over the semester.
12 hours comprising 4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information