6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Only students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science - Global Challenges (Honours) can enrol in this unit.
The Impact through science level two units provide an action-learning exploration of the business and social entrepreneurship cycle from concept through to pitching the idea to a panel of experts. The entrepreneurial mindset is developed through a strong focus on group work, critical thinking, persuasive communication and leadership development. Throughout these units, insights into entrepreneurship will be gained by using case study analysis and prominent guest speakers who are thought leaders, entrepreneurs and industry executives.
During the Impact through science 2A unit, students will explore the fundamentals of entrepreneurship by focusing on identifying and creating opportunity for new venture, examining business models and financing these ventures. Students will examine the tools used to identify venture opportunities by understanding customer needs, competition and conducting industry and market analysis. Students will develop their understanding of financing the entrepreneurial business by exploring strategies for funding their enterprises and attracting investment.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Use a range of tools to identify and evaluate entrepreneurial venture opportunities;
- Differentiate between entrepreneurial business types;
- Articulate strategies for establishing entrepreneurial businesses;
- Evaluate appropriate financing opportunities for entrepreneurial ventures;
- Demonstrate teamwork capacity and knowledge of leadership by using a case-study approach to examine the entrepreneurial life cycle.
Continuous assessment: 30%
Oral presentation: 10%
End of semester report: 60%
One 3-hour workshop per week.
Students should note that they are required to undertake one internship before the start of their level three units.
See also Unit timetable information