6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Only students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science - Global Challenges (Honours) can enrol in this unit.
The Impact through science level two units provide an action-learning exploration of the business and social entrepreneurship cycle from concept through to pitching the idea to a panel of experts. The entrepreneurial mindset is developed through a strong focus on group work, critical thinking, persuasive communication and leadership development. Throughout these units, insights into entrepreneurship will be gained by using case study analysis and prominent guest speakers who are thought leaders, entrepreneurs and industry executives.
The Impact through science 2B unit concentrates on the development, growth and marketing phase of the entrepreneurial venture. Building upon the skills and knowledge acquired in, students will grow their acumen by examining methods used to grow ventures and develop their own concept from the initial idea through to a business plan. Marketing techniques and strategies to ensure a competitive edge in the current market will be explored. Students will work closely with their peers, the unit coordinator and industry mentors to gain critical feedback on their ideas. The unit will conclude with each student using persuasive communication to gain support for their concept through a pitch. During this unit, students will also plan and prepare for their first internship.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Develop a comprehensive business plan for an original idea, taking into account opportunity and risk;
- Work with others to critically evaluate business plans, and integrate feedback from peers/mentors to make improvements in planning;
- Articulate the core concept of their business plan in a pitch;
- Demonstrate teamwork capacity and knowledge of leadership by using a case-study approach to examine the entrepreneurial life cycle;
- Develop a plan for their first internship.
Continuous assessment: 20%
Mid-semester project: 30%
Oral presentation: 10%
End of semester report: 40%
The unit will consist of one 3-hour workshop per week, two pitch night events and a gala event.
Students should note that they are required to undertake one internship before the start of their level 3 units.
See also Unit timetable information