6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
MDC4550 or by permission of the course coordinator
This unit aims to provide students with the knowledge to develop effective multimedia communications. Students will investigate graphical user interface design and usability standards as they relate to the presentation of information in a multimedia context. An understanding of the principles that underpin interface design, information architecture design and usability standards will be developed. Students will explore approaches to user interface and interaction design, develop advanced technical skills with relevant software and hardware, and formulate new responses to participation and experience ideas that are specifically oriented to electronic and digital media and its usability.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply international standards and protocals related to multimedia development;
- Undertake a critical analysis of multimedia communication tools with a view to maximising the effectiveness of multimedia design;
- Display an increased technical proficiency across the development, creation and production of digital media, using industry standard software applications in relation to multimedia design concepts and standards;
- Develop solutions that effectively explore software and hardware in terms of information architecture, interaction design, usability, usability testing, quality assurance and maintenance in the application of multimedia;
- Explore a range of approaches to multimedia design with an increased understanding of processes, practices, methods and techniques for the production of interactive multimedia systems; and
- Observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
A series of projects (70%) and class directed exercises (30%)
12 hours (1 x 1 hour lecture, 1 x 3 hour studio and 8 independent study hours) per week
See also Unit timetable information