6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
48 credit points from any Monash degree
This unit introduces students to the specific skills, demands, practices and opportunities in advertising. A series of assigned projects involving press, print, signage and television applications, students explore the parameters, opportunities and constraints of these various contexts. Students are expected to develop basic skills in all areas of advertising including, concept creation, visualisation, copy writing and art direction. The ethics of practice and the moral responsibility of advertising are actively discussed and debated.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have competence in conceptualising, visualising, copywriting and art direction in the context of advertising
- understand and be able to implement research analysis, problem solving, creative teamwork and brief compliance
- be able to engage the imagination toward the ingenious connections between certain products (whether goods or services) and the desires of a given market
- be ready to consider ethical questions concerning the persuasive powers of advertising
- understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Major projects (60%)
Minor projects (40%)
12 hours per week including: 4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information