6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Theoretical and practical exercises in the relationships between typography and meaning, typography and language, and type in media will provide this unit's educational core. Skills in fine-point typography and publishing software are emphasised. Set projects engage students in the production of sophisticated typographic solutions for print, publications and generalist design applications.
On successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- effectively use the elements and principles of typographic design
- establish parameters and apply solutions to issues of legibility, readibility, and hierarchical information structures
- explore experimental typography and demonstrate a capacity to apply new approaches to the construction of meaning
- show a capacity to work with texts and enhance and construct meaning; demonstrate fine-point technical skills necessary for industry-level typographic application
- produce sophisticated typographic solutions to general and media-specific design problems and projects
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to studio practice.
Approximately 4 assigned projects: 100%
4 studio hours and 8 independent study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information