Monash researchers are working to improve the health of our community through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles and research into disease, disability and injury prevention.
We have more than 300 staff working across the broadest range of disciplines offered by any Australian university.
And we have made a real impact on Victorian public health issues.
Following the devastating fires in 2009, our staff reported on the effects of fire-fighting chemicals on drinking water, the management of burns victims and the impact of heat stress on older people.
And during the outbreak of H1N1 influenza our researchers developed national clinical and infection control guidelines, established a hospital-based surveillance program and studied the responses to influenza infection and vaccination.
Our researchers and industry partners have access to unique resources for:
- clinical trials
- large cohorts.
There are also a number of major centres offering specialised services, including:
- Monash Centre for Occupational and Environmental Health
- Centre of Cardiovascular Research and Education in Therapeutics
- Australian Cochrane Centre
- Centre for Clinical Effectiveness
- Monash Ageing Research Centre
- Centre for Obesity Research and Education
- Michael Kirby Centre for Public Health and Human Rights
- Australian Centre for Human Health Risk Assessment
- Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Research Centre
- NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Patient Safety
Working with industry
Monash works closely with the Alfred Hospital and other major hospitals, research institutes and public health units within Victoria.
Our researchers are encouraged to develop cross discipline collaboration with other research groups, clinical researchers and commercial enterprises to accelerate discovery and action.
Our partners include members of:
- state and federal governments
- health insurance industry
- pharmaceutical industry
- water industry
- state and private hospitals
- agencies, such as Cancer Council Victoria and National Heart Foundation
- Clinical data management
- Clinical medicine
- Clinical registries
- Evidence synthesis
- Health economics
- Multicentre clinical trials
- Health social science