We're continuously strengthening security and privacy for all staff and students, by changing our login platform and processes.
The new look of the Monash login page is just the first step in introducing a multi-factor authentication (MFA) login. This will be rolled out across all Monash applications, including your email, calendar, and my.monash accounts.
Monash users are invited to register for MFA before it becomes mandatory later this year. If you use the Monash Virtual Private Network (VPN), we encourage you to register for MFA now to ensure seamless access.
What has changed?
There are three changes to the login process:
- The URL has changed from login.monash.edu to monashuni.okta.com.
We’ve partnered with a company called Okta for our login services, which is why their name appears in the URL.
- The look of the page has changed.
- You will need to register for multi-factor authentication using your mobile device. For full instructions, see Register for multi-factor authentication.
For iPhone users
For Android users
Data security systems and practices are constantly evolving and improving. There are many benefits of using multi-factor authentication:
- Provides increased protection against identity theft. This means when suspicious login activity is detected, users will be prompted to re-validate their identity using multi-factor authentication.
- Requires a user to ‘authenticate’ their identity using two or more different methods (or ‘factors’), in order to login to an application and gain access to their secure personal information.
- It’s already being used by some businesses and institutions, and is often applied only to selected groups and a limited amount of users or applications.
- By introducing multi-factor authentication for all users and all applications, Monash is providing our staff and students with security and privacy protection in line with emerging global best practice.
More information about what to expect from the Monash multi-factor authentication experience will be provided to users over the coming months, as they are invited to register early.