Monash has established a telecommunications link to AARNet (Australia's Academic and Research Network). This allows for priority toll free and feature rich communications with educational institutions that are also connected to the AARNet telecommunications exchange Network.
A call to a peer institution, in Australia or around the world will:
- go over the high speed data network
- be toll free
- provide a more feature rich experience. (e.g. the called party’s name, video if available, and a better call quality)
- simplify video conferencing between partner institutions
- let a user dial a phone number, just like a standard telephone call, rather than dialling a confusing “I.P. address” for a video conference unit.
This service is automatic and you don't need to do anything differently when making a phone call. The telephony system will use AARNet when possible or the Telstra carrier for all other calls.
Below is an example of institutions connected to the AARNet exchange:
- Adelaide University (Unicare EHealth)
- Australian National University
- Australian Institute of Marine Science
- University of Ballarat
- Canberra University
- Charles Sturt University
- Curtin University
- Deakin University
- Griffith University
- Monash University Australia
- Monash University Prato campus (Italy)
- Swinburne University
- The University of New England (Parramatta TelePresence)
- Victoria University
- LaTrobe University