Find solutions to common problems encountered when using Moodle and related learning management systems.
- Ensure the user is enrolled in the unit.
- Check the start and end dates of the unit. If the unit hasn’t yet started or the end date has passed, the unit won’t appear under the In progress section of the dashboard. Either update the unit’s dates or advise the user to view the unit under All My Units.
- Check that the unit is visible to students:
- navigate to the unit
- from the settings gear in the unit banner, select Edit settings
- confirm that Course visibility is set to Show.
For more information, see the Moodle guidance on dashboards.
Always access quizzes from the main unit page in Moodle – quizzes can’t be accessed from the LockDown Browser.
Before opening a quiz in Moodle, ensure the quiz page has finished refreshing (the circle in the top left corner of the page stops rotating). Don’t click on the quiz link in the Activities block – always access the quiz from the main unit page.
For more information, see the Respondus knowledgebase.
If you receive this error, go to the internet options screen in your browser and check that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are enabled.
For more information, see step 3 of the Respondus AWS knowledgebase article.
To change the way forum posts are notified through email, under your forum preferences, select a different email digest type.
- In the top right-hand corner of any Moodle page, click your name.
- Select Preferences.
- Under User account, select Forum preferences.
- From the Email digest type drop-down menu, select your preferred digest type. The blue question mark provides more detail on the available options.
- Click Update profile.
For more information, see the Moodle guidance on forum preferences.
When importing grades, only use the student’s username – not the ID or email address.
For detailed instructions, see the Moodle guidance on importing grades.
If you’re unable to create a preview image from a video clip, insert the video file as media (instead of as a clip).
For more information, see how to change the preview image of a video in the editor.
Moodle can’t be accessed using a staff-like account. Users should log in with either a student account or a staff account.
If students need help with a staff-like account, they should contact the Service Desk.