Renewable energy engineers focus on identifying and developing clean and sustainable systems for electricity generation. This includes a broad knowledge of renewable energy sources and technologies and the ability to assess the feasibility of alternative energy options and make recommendations based on site specific resource characteristics.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2017 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
The course progression mapcourse progression map (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/maps/map-e3001.pdf) will assist you to plan to meet the course requirements, and guidance on unit enrolment for each semester of study.
Levels 2, 3 and 4
Parts C, D. Renewable energy engineering knowledge, application and practice (108 points)
- CIV2206 Mechanics of solids
- MNE2010 Fixed plant engineering
- MEC2404 Mechanics of fluids
- CIV2242 Geomechanics I
- MNE2030 Project, risk and safety management
- ENG2005 Advanced engineering mathematics
- ENE3048 Energy and the environment
- EAE3591 Geophysics
- RSE3141 Solar energy
- MNE3010 Rock mechanics
- RSE3241 Hydropower
- RSE3242 Geothermal energy
- CIV4210 Project A
- ECE4xxx Blended power systems distribution and storage
- CHE4xxx Biomass energy
- CIV4211 Project B
- MNE4020 Design and feasibility project
- MEC4459 Wind engineering
Part E. Elective study (36 points)
Single degree students complete a. and b. below:
- 12 points of electives at level 2 or 3 from one of the following options:
- the remaining two units required to complete an engineering-approved minorengineering-approved minor (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/undergrad/eng-beng-approved-minors.html) from another faculty (if the first two units in the minor were completed at level 1)
- level 2 or 3 units from the list of technical electives below
- other electives chosen in consultation the course adviser
- 24 points of level 3 and 4 units from the list of technical electives below
For students completing a double degree, some units required for the partner degree are credited as electives towards this degree.
Renewable energy engineering technical electives
- EAE2511 The deep earth
- EAE2522 Sediments and basins
- ENE3608 Environmental impact assessment and management systems
- MEC2405 Thermodynamics
- MNE4120 Instrumentation, automation, asset management
- MTE2544 Functional materials
- MTE3545 Functional materials and devices
- MTE4593 Materials and sustainability
- RSE4111 Numerical modelling
- RSE4112 Advanced rock mechanics
- RSE4231 Unconventional resources
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- E3001 Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
Students in other courses are not eligible to complete this specialisation.