6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Each student enrolled in SCI3790 will undertake an individual science communication task, under supervision, in a discipline related to a major area of study, further developing the themes introduced in SCI2010. Project topics must be approved at the time of enrolment by both the unit coordinator and the project supervisor. Requirements within the project include submission of a detailed project plan, seminar presentation and participation, and delivery of the final communication task, which could take the form of a comprehensive literature review, a scientific evaluation and report, a series of lessons for school students, a community information session, writing information booklets, etc. Students are required to maintain regular contact with their supervisor(s) and the unit coordinator. Attendance at relevant workshops may be specified.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Review scientific literature, with particular reference to the identification of key information;
- Practice careful and discriminating information retrieval;
- Communicate effectively, to diverse audiences, in both written and oral formats;
- Plan and undertake an assigned task;
- Meet deadlines;
- Operate with a significant degree of independence, whilst maintaining efficient and meaningful dialogue with a project supervisor;
- Act as a constructive member of a seminar audience;
- Interact with others as part of a team in a work environment.
Two oral reports (preliminary, 10 minutes: progress, 10 minutes): 10% each
Project proposal and clear exposition of underpinning science concepts, 2500 words: 20%
Supervisor's assessment of project planning, conduct and development: 25%
Delivery of the final communication task: 35%
12 hours per week. The majority of this time will be spent working on the agreed task. Participation in organised workshops and seminars, and regular contact with supervisor will require 1-2 hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Nil. Oral presentations may be conducted on campus or using a web conference.
Students must pass 24 points of second level studies with a credit average including SCI2010 and a minimum of 12 points in the discipline relevant to the project. The project and supervisor must be approved by the unit coordinator prior to enrolment.