This specialisation will prepare you to teach adolescents from 12 to 18 years of age in secondary schools from Year 7 to Year 12 as a specialist teacher of health and physical education, health and human development and a third subject area of your choice, such as outdoor education and environmental studies. It will also prepare you to work more broadly in community, recreational and sporting settings. You will develop an understanding of adolescent learning and the nature of secondary education including areas such as: classroom teaching and practice in schools, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, and education and its relationship to society. ty.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (36 points)
- EDF1303 Understanding learning and learners
- EDF1304 Understanding teaching for learning
- EDF2005 Professional responsibilities, practice and relationships
- EDF2007 Adolescent development and learning
- EDF3007 Developing multiple literacies in education
- EDF3009 Schooling, education and equity: Local and global perspectives
Part B. Curriculum studies (54 points)
- EDF1071 Introduction to health and physical education
- EDF1072 Contemporary issues in health and physical education
- EDF2071 Interdisciplinary approaches to health and physical education
- EDF2072 Social and environmental influences on health and physical education
- EDF3071 Community development and partnerships
- EDF4803 Senior secondary physical education
- EDF4804 Senior secondary health education
- Method unit A* or EDF5169 Outdoor education in the secondary years A**
- Method unit B* or EDF5170 Outdoor education in the secondary years B**
* Corresponding to the discipline studies taken in section C below. Refer to the secondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and unitssecondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and units (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms/).
**For students completing the outdoor education and environmental studies discipline only.
Part C. Discipline studies (102 points)
Discipline study 1: Health and physical education (66 points)
- EDF1171 Sociocultural foundations of health and physical education
- EDF1172 Biophysical and behavioural foundations of health and physical education
- EDF2171 Motor control and skill acquisition
- EDF2172 Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 1
- EDF2173 Perspectives on health
- EDF3072 Leadership, policy and pedagogies in health and physical education
- EDF3073 Health, sustainability and wellbeing
- EDF3171 Applied movement contexts in health and physical education 2
- EDF3172 Inclusion and diversity in movement contexts
- EDF4101 Research project in education
- EDF4171 Advanced sport and exercise science
Discipline study 2 (36 points)
One of the following secondary specialist/discipline areassecondary specialist/discipline areas (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms) options:
- Outdoor education and environmental studies - a six-unit discipline study
- Social education - a six-unit discipline study
- Biology - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Business - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Geography - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
- Mathematics - a four-unit discipline study plus two undergraduate education electives
Part D. Professional studies (12 points)
Students complete 80 days of supervised professional experience in secondary schools.
- EDF1055 Secondary professional experience 1A (0 points)
- EDF1056 Secondary professional experience 1B (0 points)
- EDF2055 Secondary professional experience 2A (0 points)
- EDF2056 Secondary professional experience 2B (0 points)
- EDF3055 Secondary professional experience 3A (0 points)
- EDF3056 Secondary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- EDF4006 Transition and professional engagement
- EDF4055 Secondary professional experience 4A (0 points)
- EDF4056 Secondary professional experience 4B (0 points)
- EDF4100 Researching teaching and learning
80 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in secondary schools.
Special course requirements
Students must complete as part of their course requirements:
- a swimming rescue certificate or AUSTSWIM certificate or Swim Teacher's Certificate (ASCTA)
- a First Aid certificate (minimum Level II).
Both certificates must be current at the time of course completion.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Related areas of study
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.