Postgraduate - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018
and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the
'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Business and Economics.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Business and Economics
Admission and fees
1 year FT, 2 years PT
Students have a maximum of three years to complete this course.
Mode and location
Graduate Diploma in Business
Graduate Certificate in Business
Refer to 'Alternative exits' entry below for further requirements and details.
The Graduate Diploma in Business allows you to build on your knowledge and acquire expertise in your chosen area of business practice. The course is suited to people who want to pursue further graduate business studies at a master's level. In addition to developing your leadership and organisational skills, the course will give you the opportunity to explore key areas of business.
An additional feature of the course is the ability to direct your studies in the area of health and economics, by studying selected health, pharmaceutical and policy units delivered by Monash Business School's Centre for Health Economics.
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework level 8 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that graduates will:
- be critical and creative scholars who:
- produce innovative solutions to problems
- apply research skills to business challenges
- communicate effectively and perceptively
- be responsible and effective global citizens who:
- engage in an internationalised world
- exhibit cross cultural competence
- demonstrate ethical values
- have a comprehensive understanding of their disciplines and be able to provide discipline based solutions relevant to the business, professional and public policy communities we serve
- have business knowledge to graduate diploma level
The course consists of eight units chosen from the wide range of units offered in the coursework master's degrees offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics.
The course comprises 48 credit points of studies. Students complete any eight units selected from the coursework master's degrees offered by the Faculty of Business and Economicscoursework master's degrees offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/index-byfaculty-bus.html), with at least six units (36 points) at level 4 or above.
Students need to seek advice regarding the selection of suitable units if considering a master's degree. Approval of some specific units may require course coordinator approval.
Students may exit this course early and apply to graduate with the following award, provided they have satisfied the requirements for that award during their enrolment in the graduate diploma course:
- Graduate Certificate in Business after successful completion of 24 credit points of study with a minimum of 18 credit points at level 4 or above.
Progression to further studies
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Diploma in Business may be eligible for admission to a master's course in the Faculty of Business and Economics subject to satisfying the appropriate entry requirements.