6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
MGX9600, MGX5960 or seek Chief Examiner approval before undertaking this unit.
Students must be enrolled in one of the following courses: 0028, 0105, 0200, 0201, 0319, 1065, 1506, 1822, 2099, 2642, 2643, 2778, 3801, B6006, B6007, B6009, B6012
MGG9371, MGG9761, MGX9761, MGX5976.
Identification and evaluation of the firm's competitive position, its markets, government policies, social issues, emerging trends and key factors which are critical for success in its environment. The crafting of an appropriate strategy supported by structure, controls and rewards.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the dynamic nature of business and the strategic management processes employed by businesses to gain sustainable competitive advantage
- develop analytical skills to plan the future of an organisation in its competitive environment from the viewpoint of the chief executive
- identify the necessary skills for developing and implementing strategies that will enable the organisation to achieve competitive advantage and sustainability
- critically analyse the strategic management theories and practices to apply to organisational realities
- develop management skills and knowledge to examine strategic management challenges from strategy, change and learning perspective.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information