6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
An introduction to basic accounting principles for non-accountants. Financial issues confronting clinical managers including the understanding and interpretation of common accounting reports, budgeting and financial analysis. An introduction to basic economic theory relevant to clinicians and clinical managers, including funding health care services and economics evaluations that guide health care policy and decision making.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Compare different models for financing health services and explain the cost containment incentives and disincentives associated with each type of payment method.
- Relate the principles of economics to health care.
- Critically analyse the role of health economics and pharmacoeconomics as a tool for decision making in health care funding, and demonstrate the application of the skills required to critically appraise an economic analysis.
- Outline the key accounting terminologies, concepts and processes that are used to prepare the financial statements prepared by health care organisations
- Analyse and interpretfinancial statements prepared by health care organisations.
- Monitor budgets and other key management control systems utilised by healthcare organisations
- Mediated online task based discussion forum (40%) (hurdle)
- Written report (1,000 words) (15%)
- Critical analysis (1500 words) (20%)
- Online Examination (90 minutes) (25%)
15 contact hours over 2 block days.
See also Unit timetable information