6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is the capstone unit of the degree, Master of Biomedical and Health Sciences. It provides students with a professional internship experience that will be undertaken over 3 months.
Two forms of internship are planned, depending on student pathways: one will be focused on pure research outcomes and the other on research-related ancillary outcomes.
In the first form, students will undertake an internship to prepare research work in publication format or will undertake an internship leading to acquisition of new biomedical science research skills to broaden their skill base for employment in the biomedical sciences.
In the second form, students will undertake an internship in a research-related environment, which can be industry-based (available only for the top 10-15% of Masters students) or Monash-based in areas such as the Monash Research Office or Monash Innovation Office.
In this form of internship, students will gain in-depth knowledge into professional environments and acquire professional skills in areas related to research outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Use professional skills to generate research outcomes including preparation of findings for publication.
- Apply biomedical and health science skills in a workplace environment.
- Evaluate the impact of organisation culture upon ethical practise and approaches to problem solving.
- Analyse the extent to which interprofessional relations in a professional setting impact on workplace behaviour.
- Apply workplace specific codes related to professional behaviour.
- Work environment specific report (2,500 words)
- Application of workplace-specific codes for professional presentations in punctuality and attendance (100% attendance hurdle)
- Preceptor report (500 words)
- Oral report on ethical challenges and solutions specific to the work environment of the internship (20 minutes)
Students must pass all elements to pass this unit
Industry internships: Off-campus 5 days/week 7.5 h/day, in the biomedical and biotech industries.
Monash-based internships: On-campus 5 days/week 7.5 h/day.
See also Unit timetable information