6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Must be enrolled in Graduate Certificate in Health Professional Education, Graduate Certificate in Clinical Simulation or Master of Health Professional Education
This unit will provide participants with the theoretical and practical knowledge and skills related to working within a range of simulation environments. It will introduce participants to the practical strategies related to planning, designing and delivering simulation-based learning. The unit includes clinical skills, simulation scenario development and designing simulation activities.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Critically appraise healthcare simulation education literature for application in teaching practice;
- Identify a range of simulation modalities and technologies, and describe their application in healthcare simulation education;
- Design, plan and prepare a simulation scenario;
- Apply a model of psychomotor skill development relevant to healthcare teaching and learning environments;
- Discuss the phases of a simulation scenario and the impact each phase has on the learning experience.
- Teaching practical - scenario delivery (30 minutes group work) (20%)
- Teaching practical - debriefing (30 minutes group work) (20%)
- Debate activity (30 minutes group work) (20%)
- Clinical simulation scenario plan (2 hours preparation, 30 minute delivery) (40%) (hurdle)
Two days teacher directed learning (study days) and up to 10 hours/week self-directed learning
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
It is expected students attend all study days. There are sessions related to assessment that are compulsory, refer to unit guide.