12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Online)
- Second semester 2018 (Online)
This unit aims to facilitate the process of research in emergency health. Firstly, the unit will extend the knowledge and understanding of research methodology gained in the research methods unit; and additionally focus attention upon a range of practical, technical and management issues associated with the conduct of scientific research. The unit will facilitate student access to academics or clinicians offering projects, and who will support the student during all stages of the inquiry process.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Critically review and analyse the literature on a current issue in community based emergency services.
- Design, develop and implement a research project.
- Demonstrate skill in accessing information, critical appraisal, reflective practice and independent scholarship.
- Demonstrate communication skills in both oral and written presentations to an audience of community based emergency services professionals.
- Evaluate and select research methods and techniques of data collection and analysis appropriate to the proposed project.
- Conduct research in line with good ethical practice.
- Write up a project that is suitable for publication.
- Contribute to enhancing an aspect of community based emergency services.
- Research proposal (1,500 words) (10%)
- Literature review (2,000 words) (20%)
- Individual oral presentation (20 minutes) (20%)
- Written report in a format suitable for publication (6,000 words) (50%) (Hurdle)