12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit provides students with a comprehensive and clinically meaningful final preparation for transition to practice as a competent beginning level midwife. The unit provides students with the opportunity to explore in detail a range of midwifery and medically led models of care and the midwifery leadership necessary to promote the profession, providing childbearing women with choice in the care they receive. Students are provided with the opportunity to explore contemporary midwifery practice, regulatory and professional issues and identify evidence informed midwifery practices.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Reflect critically upon the role that women-centred care and midwifery led models of care play in the Australian maternity care context;
- Appraise contemporary and evidence-based midwifery practice;
- Discuss challenges of autonomous practice and midwifery leadership;
- Demonstrate skill in ethical decision making in the identification of appropriate solutions to complex midwifery issues;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the implementation of planned midwifery care; and
- Demonstrate midwifery competency based on the ANMC National Competency Standards for the Midwife.
Clinical placement: 160 hours.
- Essay (3,000 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Case study (3,000 words) (60%) (Hurdle)
- Clinical placement with clinical assessment (160 hours) (Pass / Fail)
- Clinical portfolio with all minimum requirements completed (Pass / Fail)
Students must pass the clinical assessment to pass the unit. Students must submit the clinical portfolio for audit in order to be course completed.
This is a flexible unit with a number of compulsory on campus workshops.
One four hour orientation session and three four hour compulsory on-campus workshops: 16 hours
Self-directed learning: 60 hours
Clinical placement: 160 hours
Total: 316 hours.
See also Unit timetable information